Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon


Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

April 2010

In April, the Council Meeting is preceded by the Annual Parish Meeting, at which local organisations present an account of their activities over the year and plans for the future. These minutes are presented first, with the minutes of the Parish Council meeting below.

Appleby Magna Annual Parish Meeting
Thursday 1st April 2010, 7.30pm, Sir John Moore Community Building Appleby Magna

Present: -       Cllrs J Quimby (Chair), P Hemmerdinger, M Hemmerdinger, K Colver, E Jeffrey’s
Clerk Mrs Lindsay Swinfield
Members of the public, Mr Pott, Mr & Mrs Dunkelman,
Mr D Hamilton (Sansom Hamilton & Co)

Apologies: -   Cllr D Morris, Mr S Grainger (Scouts) sent apologies and asked if the PC would help with a  Saturday litter picking event in the village – Cllrs agreed, Clerk to ascertain date/time etc.

1001    Minutes
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 2nd April 2009 were endorsed and signed.

1002    Chairman of the Parish Council – Annual Report

1003    County & District Councillors – Annual Reports - Nil

1004    Local Organisations – Annual Reports
a.         Mrs M Dunkelman reported that although the Appleby Online Centre had sadly closed, the Information Byway was still going strong – it has been revamped and updated, the history site has       expanded, Parish Registers digitised and the Discussion Board is very lively.
b.         AHEM (Appleby Heritage & Environment) has been revived.  It is hoped to re-publish ‘A son of the Rectory’ and any photographs would be greatly appreciated.
c.         It is hoped to raise the profile of sustainability – the Parish Council will support this fully where possible.  On the 5th June 2010 an event will be held in the Church Hall re energy saving.  All welcome to attend.
d.         The Film Society is doing well, and an Awards For All grant has assisted.
e.         Public attendance at Parish meetings is low, another village appraisal could help to get more people involved.  It is disappointing that County and District representation is nil.
f.          The Scouts wish to organise a village litter pick – the Clerk to contact Mr Grainger and offer the PC’s support.
g.         Cllr Morris sent apologies for absence but included a full report on the Sir John Moore Foundation (a copy may be obtained via Cllr Morris).  To précis the report:-

The meeting ended at 8pm.
Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council)

Appleby Magna Parish Council Minutes
Thursday 1st April 2010, 8.00pm, Sir John Moore Community Building Appleby Magna

Present: -       Cllrs J Quimby (Chair), P Hemmerdinger, M Hemmerdinger, K Colver, E Jeffrey’s
Clerk Mrs Lindsay Swinfield
Members of the public, Mr Pott, Mr & Mrs Dunkelman,
Mr D Hamilton (Sansom Hamilton & Co)

Apologies: -   Cllr D Morris

Open forum for members of the public and press

Cllr Quimby proposed, all agreed, to bring forward agenda item 15d, ‘environmental issues, stream pollution’ – to allow members of the public to participate in this subject.
A letter had been received in response to concerns raised re possible pollution to the River Mease and related stream outlets.  Clerk to enquire when the dye tests had been carried out by the EA as referred to in the letter.  Mr Dunkelman will approach Marstons re drainage and environmental issues; also Mr Nick Rushton (NWLDC).  The cost of further investigation by the EA could be prohibitive, but should not stop water analysis and monitoring.  Cllrs are concerned that the EA issues could prevent the housing development from moving forward in the near future.

1035    Declarations of Interest to Items on Agenda - Nil

1036    Declarations of Amendment to the Register of Interests – Nil

1037    Minutes
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 4th March 2010 were endorsed and signed.

1038    Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers – Nil

Mr D Hamilton of Sansom Hamilton & Co attended the meeting to outline the legal aspects of managing and leasing the allotment field.  Under an absence of a Tenancy Agreement, the PC would need to work to a ‘model form of agreement’ – the 1995 legislative agreement is the most suitable one to follow.  Cllr M Hemmerdinger proposed, seconded by Cllr Colver it was RESOLVED, unanimous to request Sansom Hamilton & Co to represent the Parish Council re this matter, and that Cllr P Hemmerdinger and the Clerk would liaise and represent the Parish Council.  A formal letter of request would be issued by the PC.  Mr Hamilton left the meeting.

1039    Police / Neighbourhood Watch Matters
a.          No outstanding issues re Appleby Magna village, vandalism is negligible; some graffiti still showing. Other local villages are experiencing anti-social behaviour problems and cold calling is still prevalent.  The Appleby Magna Neighbourhood Watch scheme is among one of the most successful in the County.

1040    Planning Consultations
a.         10/266/FUL, Bateman House 87 Top Street – removal of existing conservatory to side and erection of a single storey garden room extension to side.  No comment.
b.         10/00232/FUL, 12 Rectory Lane – change of use of land and access from agricultural use/land for keeping horses to use of land and access for agricultural use/keeping of horses and residential use.              Require more information to make informed decision – object until further information received.
c.         LCC Improvements & Maintenance of public ROW, Ashby area.   Comments: Q4, Q10,11,12,13, 25 and Church Street sign, Hall Yards resurfacing required – all need to be addressed.

1041    Planning Decision Notices
a.         The Moat House, 29 Mawbys Lane, works to 5 trees within Conservation area – GRANTED
b.         11 Blackhorse Hill, erection of single storey rear extension – GRANTED

1042    Allotment Matters
a.         Cllr Quimby reported that the new bridge and access surfaces were a great success – all agreed.

1043    Footpaths, Hedgerows & Street Matters
a.         Hedge cutting required along Church Street / Bowleys Lane and Rectory Lane – the overgrown   hedge is creating a hazard, especially on the blind corner, and as this is the main route that school coaches take it is vital that the hedges are cut back as soon as possible.  This has been reported  and will be reported again.

1044    Recreation Ground & Street Furniture Matters
a.         Top Street bench – Cllr Quimby to speak to Mr Massey re cost of providing a new bench, and the Clerk to obtain quotes and email to all Cllrs.  The bench has been included in the 2010/11 budget.

b.         New notice board – Mr Massey is in the process of making the new notice board – Cllr Quimby to arrange sign-writing for the top of the board.  All agreed to keep the wording simple.

c.         New swings for the play area are in place, Wicksteed have carried out the works to a high standard. The existing swings will be painted blue to match (paint and contractor are ready to start work).  All agreed that the picnic bench can now be re-sited; Cllr Quimby to speak to Mr Denson.

1045    Correspondence
a.         A resident who lives adjacent to the recreation field had expressed concern to NWLDC Officers re balls being lobbed into her garden.  Noted.  Matter closed.

1046    Approval of Budget And Financial Statements
a.         1st April 09 to 18th March 2010, approved.

1047    Accounts For Payment – (cheque list approved) & Financial Matters
a.         Sir John Moore Foundation Over 50’s Project donation request – this was discussed by members who rejected the application.  Unanimous.
b.         World Scouts Jamboree, trip to Sweden – application for funding assistance – rejected (unanimous) on the grounds that S137 grants have to be made for ‘the benefit of the whole community.’  However, the PC wishes the youngsters all the very best in their fund-raising endeavours.

1048    Cricket Club tractor repair request – Cllrs discussed this matter briefly, a response has not been received.  Noted.

1049    Stone Pit Land Charity – the Clerk continues to liaise with Miss Vass (Solicitor for NWLDC).  Cllr Colver passed important information to the Clerk, with a copy to be sent to Ms Vass.  Ongoing item.

1050    Allotment Field Tenancy Update – refer to opening of the April 2010 meeting.  Ongoing item.

1051    Environment Issues – stream pollution – refer to public session of the April 2010 meeting.
1052    Ideas for written piece – Parish News Line
a.         Vandalism in Appleby Magna negligible; affordable housing scheme on hold due to pollution risk; celebration of 25 years’ of running the shop and Post Office (Mr Alan Bavington) – PC to write and congratulate.
1053    Urgent Items
a.         Trees in the Village – Arboricultural report on St Michael & All Angels’ Church & Church Hall.  Defer to May meeting.  Cllr Quimby to obtain quotes for tree works.

The meeting ended at 09.35 pm

Date of next meeting:  May 6th 2010 – 7.30 pm, AGM - The Stables Community room, Sir John Moore School

Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council)

Back to Top


Back to Top