Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon


Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

August 2011

Thursday 4th August 2011, 7.30pm, Sir John Moore Community Building Appleby Magna

Present: -       Cllrs P Hemmerdinger, M Hemmerdinger, P Smith, G Potts, R Butler, D Morris
Lindsay Swinfield Clerk, PCO Mark Ball, Mr Ian Hamilton

Open forum for members of the public and press

1186    Apologies – Nil

1187    Declarations of Interest to Items on Agenda – Cllr P Hemmerdinger agenda item 13a, personal interest.

1188    Declarations of Amendment to the Register of Interests – Nil

1189    Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 2nd June 2011 were endorsed and signed. 
1190    Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers – Nil 

1191    Police / Neighbourhood Watch Matters
a.         PCO Mark Ball introduced himself to the Parish Council; Mark has been working closely with the Sir John Moore Foundation, helping with the Youth Club and the music festival.
            Please ring 0116 2222222 or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 to report suspicious behaviour or crimes.
Police left the meeting.

1192    Planning Consultations
a.         11/00425/FUL, 21 Church Street, removal of existing single storey conservatory and erection of a single storey rear extension – no comment (must be in keeping with surrounding buildings).

1193    Planning Decision Notices
a.         Redhill Farm, 97 Top Street, change of use of existing floorspace from residential to commercial – granted.
b.         4 Botts Lane, removal of existing single storey projections from garage and erection of single storey rear extension and part conversion of garage to habitable accommodation – granted.
c.         23 Didcott Way, two storey rear extension (amended scheme) – granted.
d.         38 Church Street, erection of detached double garage with study in roof space – refused.
e.         Hall Farm, 1 New Road, alterations to roof coverings, fenestration, structural and fabric repairs – Listed Building Consent – granted.

1194    Chairman’s Report
a.         Cllr P Hemmerdinger reported that the waste bin next to the bus shelter on Mawbys Lane has been replaced.

1195    Allotment Matters
a.         Cllr Smith updated the meeting on the allotment plots, there are two plots available, and some plots need to be kept in order – strimmed and weed controlled.  Cllr Smith is still keen to have an allotment committee – all agreed.

1196    Footpaths, Hedgerows & Street Matters
a.         Cllr Pott reported that the footpath from Botts Lane to Corbetts Field and across (rear of Bateman House and Chapel House, by Blythe Park) is not being used due to fear of the horses that are kept in the field – people are afraid of the horses.  Clerk to request that a ‘safety’ fence or line is installed to prevent the horses from accessing walkers.
b.         All Cllrs agreed that farmers and their contractors should try to clear mud left by farm vehicles from the roads – this is a health and safety hazard for motorists.  Clerk to write to farmers within the Parish.
c.         Footpath signs are missing from various locations in the village, and some of the kissing gates are in poor order – Clerk to contact Highways and the Footpath Officer.

1197    Recreation Ground & Street Furniture Matters
a.         Cllr Smith proposed, seconded by Cllr M Hemmerdinger, it was RESOLVED, unanimous, to re-stain the bus shelter at an approximate cost of £300.00.  Cllr P Hemmerdinger to organise.
b.         Cllr Smith distributed a comprehensive list (with photographs) of all seats within the Parish; the list was discussed and Cllr P Hemmerdinger will speak to Mr Denson re quoting to carry out agreed repairs.

1198    Correspondence      
a.         Sir John Moore Foundation – Trustee required – Crane & Walton Solicitors had written to the Parish                             Council requesting a replacement Trustee for the Foundation (representing the Parish Council).  Cllr Butler proposed, seconded by Cllr Smith, it was RESOLVED, unanimous, that Cllr Mr Paul Hemmerdinger be a Trustee to the Sir John Moore Foundation.  As Cllr P Hemmerdinger will be a Trustee to the Foundation, this leaves a Joint Management Committee vacancy – it was proposed by Cllr P Hemmerdinger, seconded by Cllr M Hemmerdinger, RESOLVED, unanimous that the Clerk, Mrs Lindsay Swinfield sit on the JMC for the Foundation.  Clerk to respond to Crane & Walton, Solicitors.
b.         Vacancy for representatives on Standards Committee – noted.
c.         Working with your Council – courses via SLCC – noted.
d.         LCC – levy charge for local council website – rejected, Clerk to respond to LCC.
e.         RCC – Trustees required – noted.
f.          Black Horse Inn external condition – the Clerk has been liaising with Mr John Cooper from Marstons Brewery.  Marstons have paid for a full survey to be carried out and are waiting for the report – this will be copied to the Clerk.  Add to the September agenda.
g.         Measham Medical Unit have won their case – update – noted.
h.         Sir John Moore Foundation update – Cllr D Morris updated the meeting on the Foundations activities:

1199    Approval of Financial Statements & Payments
a.         The cheque list and bank reconciliation were reviewed and approved.
b.         Data Protection Act – the Parish Council is now registered under this act.
c.         Approval of Annual Return and notice of conclusion of Audit – all completed for 2010/11 financial year.

11100  Stone Pit Land Charity
a.   Mr Ian Hamilton updated the meeting on his findings re Stone Pit land – a full report from Mr Hamilton had been distributed to all Councillors. 

Cllr Butler proposed, seconded by Cllr Pott, it was RESOLVED, unanimous, that Mr Ian Hamilton continues to act on behalf of the Parish Council to:

Mr Hamilton left the meeting

11101  Ideas for written piece – Parish News Line
a.         Hedges and trees to be kept pruned back within the Parish.
b.         Ask local Farmers to please clear mud from the roads as this is a H&S hazard to motorists.
c.         Two allotment plots available.
11102  Urgent Items
a.         Request a vehicle activated speed sign for Mawby’s Lane – Clerk to contact Highways.
b.         Clerk to contact LCC Highways and request permission to place a notice board along Top Street, opposite the entrance to the Sir John Moore School.

The meeting ended at 9.30 pm

Date of next meeting:  1st September 2011 – 7.30pm, The Stables Community room, Sir John Moore School

 Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council)

Back to Top