Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon


Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

February 2007

Thurs 1st February 2007 

Present: - Mr J Quimby – Chairman, Mr K Colver -Vice Chairman, Mr P Hemmerdinger, Mrs M Hemmerdinger & Mrs D Morris 
Mrs L Shaw & Members of the Public  

Apologies: - Mrs E Jeffrey & P.C. Davis 

2465    Minutes

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 7th December 06 were read and endorsed.  

2466    Public Question Time

Four villagers raised objections to planning consultation 06/02005/FUL – 8 Black Horse Hill.  The Chairman advised them to send letters of objection to the Planning Department at North West Leicestershire District Council. He promised the Parish Council would fully discuss the planning consultation before sending its views to N.W.L.D.C.

Mrs Shaw requested agenda item 18 vehicular access to Brewery Barn, Black Horse Hill be brought forward so that she could give an update. Leicestershire County Council had carried out the work installing kerbstones (which was a condition of planning 02/01712/FUL).  A request had gone to N.W.L.D.C. to remove the condition and currently it was with their legal department.  The conservation officer from N.W.L.D.C. had seen the kerbstones and agreed they were out of character with a conservation area.  It was agreed to monitor the situation with the legal department and put on the September agenda, with a view to possibly having the kerbstones removed. 

2467    Declarations Of Amendment To The Register Of Interests - None. 

2468    Declaration Of Interest To Items On Agenda

Councillor Morris declared an interest in agenda item 21, Sir John Moore Foundation – Arts Council Bid. 

2469    Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers - None.

2470    Police Matters including Neighbourhood Watch Matters

Last year’s crime figures for Ashby L.P.U. were read out by the Chairman. 

A request for more 30 m.p.h. signs on Rectory Lane had been refused by the Highways Department L.C.C.  It was agreed to put this item on the March agenda to ask for police support for the request. 

2471    Planning Consultations

06/02005/FUL – 8 Black Horse Hill – erection of single storey ext. to side, installation of dormer units & ext. alterations to dwelling – letter of objection to N.W.L.D.C.

07/00009/FUL & 07/00010/LBC – 42 Top Street – conversion & alteration of existing outbuildings/barn to form ancillary accommodation, erection of new link between dwelling & outbuildings & ext. of existing detached garage – no objections

07/00060/TCA – The Moat House, 29 Mawbys Lane – works to trees in conservation area – no objections

07/00114/FUL – 8 Rectory Lane – erection of single storey ext. to front to form garage, conservatory & study – letter of objection to N.W.L.D.C. 

2472    Planning Decision Notices

06/01645/FUL – 1 Bowleys Lane – erection of single storey ext. to side & detached garage to front to replace existing - granted

06/01699/ADC – Ramada Hotel – display of internally illuminated sign – granted

06/01894/LBC – The Moat House, 29 Mawbys Lane – installation of new bathroom, incl. opening of previous window & installation of air brick – granted

06/07820/FUL – 8 Rectory Lane – erection of ext. & external alterations (amended scheme) – granted

06/01867/FUL – 28-30 Black Horse Hill – conversion of 2 dwellings into a single dwelling with ext. alterations – granted            Noted.

2473    Approval Of Budget And Financial Statements

1st April 06 to 18th December 06 budget & financial statements

1st April 06 to 18th January 07 budget & financial statements

(Request to separate allotment water costs from other allotment expenses in the accounts).

2474    2007/8 Budget Proposal & Precept Requirement

It was agreed to request a precept of £12,000 from NWLDC.  Also, it was agreed the Chairman’s allowance be increased to £150 per annum.

 2475    Accounts For Payment

Karen Stirk – Clerk's Payment – 1st December to 31st December 06 - £282.43

Karen Stirk – Clerk's Payment – 1st January to 31st January 07 - £282.43

Karen Stirk – Expenses for November 06 - £10.79

Karen Stirk – Expenses for December 06 - £17.15

Severn Trent Water Ltd – Allotment water - £84.14

Parochial Church Council – Churchyard grass cutting (agreed Dec. meeting) - £550

Appleby Magna Cricket Club – Donation paint costs - (agreed Dec. meeting) - £50

Karen Stirk – Reimbursement for computer work station - £44.99

R J Denson – Cutting adjacent hedge to allotments - £350.00

Wicksteed Leisure Limited – Recreation Grnd. annual inspection - £47.00

N.M. White – Hedge cutting - £323.12

All cheques agreed and signed.  It was agreed to transfer £2,000 from NSI to the current account to cover year end invoices. 

2476    Pavilion, Recreation Ground Matters

The Chairman informed the meeting that the pavilion roof had been repaired and was now watertight and the showers were due to be refurbished.  A storm damaged tree by the pavilion had been removed by Mr Lees, it was agreed to raise a cheque for £50 as payment for his services.

Wicksteed Leisure had carried out the annual Recreation Ground safety inspection. It was agreed to order the swing seat only (not labour).  The Chairman reported the picnic table had been repaired and was ready to be installed in the spring. 

2477    Litter Bins / Dog Fouling / Overgrown Hedges

The clerk had again requested extra litter bins from N.W.L.D.C., who had refused due to not having enough man-power to empty the bins.  However, it was agreed to try again and request two anti-vandal bins for the bus shelter and Recreation Ground with two additional bins for Top Street and Church Street.

It was reported that youngsters were taking dogs into the children’s playground and allowing them to foul the area.  It was agreed to remind youngsters who walk dogs and their parents that dogs are not allowed in the children’s playground.  (To be put in the Parish News Line). It was agreed for a councillor to request the owners of an overgrown hedge overhanging the Hall Yard footpath cut it back to the fence line.                       

2478    Allotment Matters

It was reported that a tank cover needed replacing, it was agreed Mr Quimby and

Mr Colver would carry out the work.  The clerk was asked to contact Environmental Health for advice about rats on the allotment, item to be on March agenda.  Mr Colver agreed to purchase saplings for the gap in the allotment hedgerow.

Mr Quimby agreed to speak with Mr Crane (solicitor) about the encroachment of the allotment boundary by the owners of 24 Rectory Lane.  It was agreed the dispute be kept pending as the matter had not been resolved, with future updates being reported at Parish Council meetings.      

It was agreed to allow a greenhouse to be erected on allotment plot 6 following a request from the holder.  Also, the clerk was asked to write to allotment holders requesting greenhouses and sheds, where possible, have gutters and water barrels installed to catch rain water. (Letter to include any advice given by Environmental Health on the problem of rats).

The clerk informed the Parish Council that the field rent charged to Mr Fowkes was realistic after referring to the N.F.U. and Fisher German.  It was agreed to inform Mr Fowkes that the rent had been reviewed with no increase charged.  It was noted that 12 months notice had to be given to increase field rent.

It was reported a newly installed shed at 20 Rectory Lane was erected partly over the allotment boundary, it was agreed for the Chairman to discuss the problem with the resident. 

2479    Vandalism to Bus Shelter

It was agreed to purchase two cans of anti-vandal paint.   

2480    Request for One Way System – Safer School Bus Route

A Leicestershire County Council Highways technician had rejected the proposed one way system in part of Church Street by letter, believing traffic speed would be increased, therefore compromising safety.  The Parish Council disagreed with this decision and agreed to send a further request to a higher body in L.C.C. for their views.           

2481    Physical Activity in Local Community

A letter had been received from N.W.L.D.C. Physical Activity Specialist requesting a meeting with the Parish Council about activities available locally and to discuss ideas to increase opportunities for physical activity.  The Parish Council agreed to invite the specialist to the next Parish Council meeting. 

2482    Donation Requests Received

It was agreed to donate £50 to Victim Support and discuss a donation to Mission for Deaf People in the next financial year. 

2483    Sir John Moore Foundation -Arts Council Bid  

A request for a Parish Council contribution had been received from Sir John Moore Foundation to support their application for funds from the Arts Council to purchase stage/lights and sound equipment.  It was agreed to earmark £250 in the next budget.

2484    Local Elections 3rd May 2007

Information had been received from Leicestershire and Rutland Association of Parish and Local Councils to inform local people about the forthcoming local elections.  It was agreed to put an item in the Parish News Line.  

2485    Grant Available / Funding Fayre

The clerk informed the meeting about a L.C.C. grant fund available to small organisations to claim up to £100 for computer equipment etc. It was agreed to apply for these funds.  Mr Colver had news of a Rural Community Council funding fayre, the details were passed to all interested parties. 

2486    Ideas for Written Piece - Parish News Line

a)         Problem of dog fouling in the children’s playground

b)         Forthcoming local elections         

2487    Urgent Items 

Planning Consultations

07/00126/FUL – The Barn, 7 Duck Lake – erection of single storey extension to rear -no objections

07/00141/FUL – 5 Wren Close – erection of 2 off two storey side extensions – no


Invoice for Payment

ESPO – Files & stationery - £26.44 - Cheque agreed and signed.


Ms K. Stirk (Clerk to the Parish Council)   

6th February 2007


Back to Top