Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon

Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Annual Parish Council Minutes

June 2010

Thursday 3rd June 2010, 7.30pm, Sir John Moore Community Building Appleby Magna

Present: -       Cllrs P Hemmerdinger (Chair), K Colver (Deputy Chair),
J Quimby, M Hemmerdinger, E Jeffrey
Clerk Mrs Lindsay Swinfield
Members of the public x 4 (Cricket & Football Clubs) & Mrs M Dunkelman

Open forum for members of the public and press

Mrs Dunkelman asked the Parish Council to endorse a project to improve the environment of Appleby Magna village; there will be an open meeting for all on 28th June 2010.  Comments put forward from the PC included:

Mrs Dunkelman emphasised the importance of environmental sustainability, especially raising awareness over matters such as car sharing, public transport etc., and as public transport has been degraded locally it is important that local Government is made aware of public opinion and needs.

The environment/sustainability concept is endorsed by the Parish Council – all agreed.

Cllr Hemmerdinger proposed, all agreed, that agenda item 12 (redevelopment of the cricket pavilion) be brought forward.

Cricket Club members are concerned by the rapid deterioration of village sports facilities; the cricket pavilion needs to be refurbished or replaced, and a set of drawings is available (Cricket Club to pass a copy to Cllr Hemmerdinger).  Parking is an issue re planning permission for a new building – Cllr Hemmerdinger will speak to the Planning department at NWLDC and report back.

A brief discussion ensued about sports facilities in the village and the recreation field (the land is owned by the Parish Council, who owns the pavilion?).

Cricket and Football Club members left the meeting.

1076    Apologies
Apologies received from Cllr Morris.

1077    Declarations of Interest to Items on Agenda - Nil

1078    Declarations of Amendment to the Register of Interests – Nil

1079    Minutes
Minutes of the Parish Council AGM held 6th May 2010 were endorsed and signed.

1080    Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers
a.         Cllr Quimby had organised repair of the gate situated at the top end of the recreation field.  All agreed.

1081    Police / Neighbourhood Watch Matters - Nil

1082    Planning Consultations
a.         10/00469/LBC, Church Barn, Church Street, internal alterations to property (LBC) – no comment.
b.         10/00467/CLE, 17 Church Street, use of property as C3 residential dwelling – no comment.
c.         10/00465/LBC, 17 Church Street, reinstatement of end wall plus reinforcements – no objection, but comment that front façade/retail window to remain aesthetically unchanged.
d.         10/00447/LBC, Sir John Moore Foundation, formation of free standing music room within east cellar – no comment.
e.         10/00477/AGP, 97 Top Street, Redhill Farm, erection of agricultural storage building – no comment.
f.          10/00356/FUL, Sir John Moore School, Top Street, expansion of existing play equipment by installation of trim trail and sensory sound trail in rear of grounds – no comment.

1083    Planning Decision Notices
a.         87 Top Street, removal of existing conservatory and erection of single storey garden room – granted.

1084    Allotment Matters
a.         Three allotments are not being cultivated (31, 35b, 40), Clerk to write to all as discussed; Cllr Jeffrey to contact owners of plot 31 to discuss further.
b.         The allotment gates are not being locked; Cllr Hemmerdinger to purchase a new lock; Clerk to write to all allotment holders requesting that they lock the gates (open/unlocked gates make the allotment site vulnerable to travellers etc).
c.         Clerk to purchase two signs for the allotment gates – to be no more than 4” in depth and with a white background/red lettering – to state ‘Stop!  Lock the gate!

1085    Footpaths, Hedgerows & Street Matters
a.         Closed Churchyard tree works – the Clerk had requested assistance from Highways, but due to the complexity of the site they cannot assist.  A letter had been received from St Michaels and All Angels’ Church re the tree works; this was tabled at the meeting and all agreed that the Clerk will write and request that the Parish Council is copied on all correspondence relating to the closed Churchyard/tree works.  The tree works cannot be carried out until a full bat survey has been conducted, and the nesting season has passed.

1086    Recreation Ground & Street Furniture Matters
a.         We are waiting for an update re the bench quote from P. Massey.

1087    Correspondence      
a.         Redevelopment of the Pavilion – deferred from the May 2010 meeting – this matter has been dealt with under ‘open forum for public’.

1088    Approval of Financial Statements & Payments
a.         The cheque list and bank reconciliation was reviewed, approved and signed by Cllr Hemmerdinger.
b.         Cllrs Quimby and Colver signed the paperwork to transfer funds of £2,000 from the PO savings Account to the Bank Account (resolved at the May 2010 meeting).
c.         The Clerk informed the Cllrs that the Annual Return had been completed and returned to the external auditor – noted.

1089    Stone Pit Land Charity & Allotment Field Tenancy
a.         This is an ongoing item until resolved – Cllr Hemmerdinger will speak to Ian Hamilton of Sansom Hamilton & Co to see if any useful information may be obtained.
b.         Allotment Field tenancy – the contract has been received and filed – noted, remove from agenda.

1090    Ideas for written piece – Parish News Line
a.         Importance of locking the allotment site gates.
b.         Please remove dog waste – this is a H&S and nuisance issue, dog owners ignoring the law may be fined.
1091    Urgent Items - nil

The meeting ended at  8.50pm

Date of next meeting:  August 5th 2010 – 7.30pm, The Stables Community room, Sir John Moore School

Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council)    

Back to Top