Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon

Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

March 2005

Thursday 3rd March 2005

 Present: - Mr J Quimby – Chairman, Mr K Colver – Vice Chairman, Mrs D Morris, Mr P Hemmerdinger and Mrs M Hemmerdinger

CoalvilleTimes Reporter and Members of the Public

Apologies: - Mrs E. Jeffrey 

2097    Minutes

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 3rd February 2005 were read and endorsed.  

2098    Public Question Time

Mrs Shaw, resident informed the council that Colin Taylor had volunteered to become co-ordinator for Appleby Magna Neighbourhood Watch; the necessary paperwork from Coalville Police had been passed to Mr Taylor.  Mrs Shaw asked the Parish Council to place in the Parish News Line a request for volunteers to assist Mr Taylor.  Chairman of the Parish Council welcomed Mr Taylor as Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator and said the Parish Council would consider funding requests from Neighbourhood Watch. 

Mrs Shaw requested the Parish Council contact L.C.C. Highways about Duck Lake as the outstanding repairs and resurfacing of the road had not been carried out as promised.  It was agreed to send a letter to L.C.C. Highways reminding them of their promise and requesting works be carried out. 

Agenda item 14 'Large Hornbeam Tree on Recreation Ground' was brought forward due to concerned resident being present at the meeting.  Mrs Nixon stated that a large hornbeam tree on the recreation ground, situated close to her property, was causing problems to herself and neighbour.  The tree was restricting light from the properties, autumn leaf fall was a tedious on-going job, children climbing the tree were spoiling residents privacy and the possible danger of large branches breaking off and causing damage.  The Parish Council agreed to seek the advice of a specialist and to keep Mrs Nixon informed.

2099    Declarations Of Amendment To The Register Of Interests


2100    Declaration Of Interest To Items On Agenda


2101    Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers


2102    Police Matters

No police present and no report received.  The Parish Councillors had received a letter from Leicestershire Constabulary informing of the cost of a Police Community Support Officer (CSO).  The Parish Council agreed that it could not be considered because the cost would be £12,500 per annum and the precept for the year is only £11,000.  It was agreed to send a letter of complaint to Leicestershire Constabulary about the large percentage of council tax already funding the police force.

 2103   Presentations by Visitors


2104    Planning Applications

05/00258/LBC – The Old Rectory, 55Rectory Lane – retention of works to outbuilding incl. window units & barn door opening treatment & proposed replacement pedestrial door – no objections

05/00259/LBC – The Old Rectory, 55Rectory Lane – retention of internal works to listed building – no objections

05/00264/FUL – 45 Top Street – erection of single storey rear extension – no objections    

05/00243/FUL – The Old Forge, 33A Church Street – erection of extensions to form conservatory – letter to be sent to N.W.L.D.C. requesting that all materials used be in keeping with the village design statement

05/00202/FUL – 4 St. Michael's Drive – erection of single storey rear extension – no objections

05/00133/FUL – 2 Rectory Lane – demolition of single storey rear extension/conservatory & erection of two-storey rear extension – location plan to be requested for councillors to consider the planning application 

2105    Planning Decision Notices

04/01935/LBC – Black Horse Inn, 2 Top Street – resurfacing car park in tarmacadem - granted


2106    Approval Of Budget And Financial Statements

1st April 04 to 18th February 05 budget & financial statements – noted.  The Parish Council agreed to purchase a photocopier, at a cost of up to £130 as in budget. 

2107    Accounts For Payment

Karen Stirk – Clerk's Payment – 1st February to 28th February 05 - £267.00

Karen Stirk – Expenses for January 2005 - £10.95

Coalville Signs – Asbestos sign - £23.50

Coalville Signs – Flytipping & recreation ground signs - £49.35

Victim Support Leicestershire & Rutland – agreed donation - £25

John Quimby – materials for allotment taps boxes/hinges/anti flow - £25.04

Appleby Magna Cricket Club – Recreation ground maintenance - £543.95

Macmillan Cancer Relief – Donation - £40

CPRE – Annual subscription - £25

All cheques agreed and signed.

2108    Requirement for the Telephone Box on A444 Appleby Parva

Following a request to remove the above telephone box, the Chairman read out a letter of agreement from BT, it stated that it would take up to six months to remove as various processes had to be completed.   

2109    Request for Additional Street Lighting by A444, Appleby Parva

The Chairman read out a reply received from L.C.C. Department of Highways, stating that lighting could only be installed on the adopted highway.  It was agreed to inform the Department of Highways that the request for additional lighting is for a stretch of adopted highway within the speed restriction zone, therefore, to consider the request again. 

2110    Appleby Magna Cricket Club – Recreation Ground Maintenance

The Chairman read a request for payment to cover the above annual costs from Appleby Magna Cricket Club.  It was agreed and a cheque was raised for the full amount of £543.95 

2111    New Rural Community Council – Best Village Competition

An invitation had been received to enter the above competition, the Parish Council agreed not to enter this year.           

2112    Hedge Laying by A444 Lay-by (L.C.C. laying hedge only to field gateway)

The Chairman read information received from BTCV about hedge laying projects, their costs being £260 per day for approximately 50m of hedge laying.  It was agreed the Parish Council investigate who owns the unkempt length of hedge by the A444 lay-by.  

2113    Macmillan Cancer Relief

A donation request was received from the above, it was agreed to raise a cheque for £40. 

2114    CPRE Annual Subscription Renewal Request

It was agreed to raise a £25 cheque for the annual subscription to 'Campaign to Protect Rural England'.           

2115    Revised Budget for 2005/6

The Parish Council agreed the revised budget for 2005/6, with the precept set at £11,000.    

2116    Ashby Youth For Christ

A donation request was received from Ashby Youth for Christ, it was agreed that a letter be sent with no donation due to supporting other worthy causes but the Parish Council would consider a possible donation next year. 

2117    L.C.C. Headland Management Project - Managing Footpaths and Bridleways

Information had been received from Richard Williams (L.C.C. Rights of Way Officer) who had been liasing with Mr Drake (resident) about various problem footpaths.  The letter stated a contractor would cut along footpaths Q4 and Q12 at the rear of the cemetery and Q17.  Mr Williams had also written to the landowner of the sections Q4 and Q6 at Redhill Farm requesting he maintain these sections.  Mr Williams was also writing to other appropriate landowners reminding them of their obligations to maintain footpaths.  The Chairman asked Mr Drake for his opinion and he replied that he was satisfied with the response from the Rights of Way Officer and that all issues had been addressed. 

2118    Affordable Rural Housing Scheme

An email had been received from Richard Windley (Leicestershire Rural Housing Enabler) offering a donation of £50 to the Parochial Church Council for their distribution of the 'Housing Needs Survey'.  Mr Windley requested that when he received the cheque, the hand over could be arranged at a mutually convenient time so that he could record the event for his records.  The Parish Council noted this request. 

2119    Proposed Recreation Ground Youth Shelter          

The Chairman read out a request for further information required by the L.C.C.Shire grant scheme concerning the application for funding a youth shelter.  The Parish Council agreed that if needed it would provide £82 towards the total cost.  Also, in answer to the grant body the proposed shelter had no glass in it and the recreation ground is a public open space with daily visitors including Parish Councillors.  

2120    Planning for the Possibility of Illegal Travellers 

The clerk informed the Parish Council that the approximate cost to remove the illegally tipped rubble from the allotments was £70 per 2.5 tons.  It was agreed to investigate the cost of hiring two skips and employing the help of a JCB owner.  It was also agreed to order the posts and gates for the allotment entrances.  The Vice Chairman agreed to find out details of landowners in and around the village so that planning for the possibility of illegal travellers could move forward. 

2121    Ideas for Written Piece - Parish News Line

The Parish Council agreed to put in the Parish News Line the following points: -

a) Details of the new Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator and a request for volunteers to assist the co-ordinator.

b) Reminder of the Centre Stage productions and Summer Spectacular at Sir John Moore School                      

2122    Urgent Items 

(Taken as urgent to response times) 

The National Savings & Investment Account

Parish Councillors at the request of the Parish Clerk completed a new signatories form to keep the account up to date.  John Quimby (Chairman), Ken Colver (Vice Chairman) and Karen Stirk (Parish Clerk) signed the form. 

Annual Parish Council Meeting – 5th May 2005

The Parish Council agreed to arrange a different date for the Annual Parish Council meeting due to be held on 5th May 2005, because of the forthcoming elections. 

Also, the clerk to write to N.W.L.D.C. suggesting a change of polling station venue, due to the access being difficult for some of the less mobile electorate. 

It was agreed the clerk obtain details for a possible change of venue for Parish Council meetings, to be included on the next Parish Council meeting agenda.  

 K. Stirk

Clerk to the Parish Council 

5th March 2005

Back to Top