Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon


Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

March 2010

Thursday 4th March 2010, 7.30pm
Sir John Moore Community Building Appleby Magna

Present: -  Cllrs J Quimby (Chair), P Hemmerdinger, M Hemmerdinger, K Colver,
Clerk Mrs Lindsay Swinfield
Members of the public, Mr Pott, Mr Lewis, Mr Dunkelman (item 1034)

Apologies: - Cllrs E Jeffrey, D Morris

Open forum for members of the public and press

Mr Lewis asked if the tree that had been removed from Didcott Way would be replaced – Cllr Quimby is to plant a wild Pear tree (provided by LCC) as soon as the weather permits.

Mr Lewis thanked the Parish Council for provision of allotment plot 1, but queried the remaining possessions of the previous tenant – Clerk to write and request removal of said equipment by agreed date.

1017    Declarations of Interest to Items on Agenda - Nil

1018    Declarations of Amendment to the Register of Interests – Nil

1019    Minutes
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 4th February 2010 were endorsed and signed.

1020    Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers – Nil

1021    Police / Neighbourhood Watch Matters
a.       The Beat 32 surgery is to take place at Measham Leisure Centre, 2-4pm on 11/03/10; this will also include a recruitment drive for Neighbourhood Watch.

1022    Planning Consultations
a.         10/00059/LBC, The Moat House, 29 Mawbys Lane, installation of new partition and internal door to form lobby area and provision of replacement boiler (LBC).  No comment.
b.         10/00170/FUL, 11 Blackhorse Hill, erection of a single storey rear extension.  No comment.

1023    Planning Decision Notices - Nil

1024    Allotment Matters
a.         Cllr P Hemmerdinger proposed, seconded by Cllr Colver it was RESOLVED unanimous, that Cllr Quimby will purchase x4 tanalised wooden sleepers at £16.48 each plus vat, to be installed as a bridge to access allotment plots 1 and 1b.  Cllr Quimby to ask Mr Denson if he would carry out the work up to the value of £200.00.  Further investigation to take place re fitment of a hand-rail and other H&S provision – this may include further costs.

b.         All allotment plots have been divided and allocated.  The Clerk to chase any unpaid fees.

c.         Allotment access driveway  resurfacing – the contractors have been asked to start work – giving agreed prior notice and liaising with Cllr Quimby re the gate lock etc.

1025    Footpaths, Hedgerows & Street Matters
a.         Rectory Lane/Church Street replacement tree – the Clerk had contacted LCC (Mr Nick Fell) who visited the site and reported that LCC had not agreed to plant a tree on this site; however he would  look into the matter and report back on suitable sites.  The Clerk had requested this in writing – Cllr Quimby read the response which included a ‘free tree’ scheme for local farmers - and all agreed that in this instance, no further trees would be planted.  Matter closed.

b.         Hedge cutting required along Church Street / Bowleys Lane and Rectory Lane – the overgrown hedge is creating a hazard, especially on the blind corner, and as this is the main route that school coaches take it is vital that the hedges are cut back as soon as possible. 

1026    Recreation Ground & Street Furniture Matters
a.         Top Street bench – add to the April agenda.

b.         New notice board – Mr Massey has kindly agreed to make the new notice board.  The closed Churchyard notice board has been removed.

c.         New swings for the play area have been ordered, and the area has been made ready – the existing swings will be painted to match – Cllr Hemmerdinger will email the Clerk details of quantity of paint to be ordered, and will arrange for the painting to be carried out up to agreed value.

d.         The recreation ground bench (bottom end) has been restored and re-set.  

1027    Correspondence - Nil

1028    Approval of Budget And Financial Statements
a.         1st April 09 to 18th February 2010, approved.
b.         The Clerk had issued a copy of the amended 2010/11 budget sheet.  Noted.         

1029    Accounts For Payment – (cheque list approved) & Financial Matters
a.         Sir John Moore Foundation Over 50’s Project donation request – this was discussed by members who requested that Cllr Morris give a brief presentation at the April meeting to enable an informed decision to be made.  Defer to April meeting.

1030    Cricket Club tractor repair request – as a response has not been received, defer to April agenda.

1031    Stone Pit Land Charity – the Clerk contacted NWLDC re closure of the charity and concern that the Parish Council has not been contacted re the annual payment it receives from the charity, or  the status of the charity and reason for closure.  Mr Bob Hall (Revenues Policy Officer) and Ms Vass (Solicitor for NWLDC) are investigating further and trying to ascertain legalities – Ms Vass will continue to liaise with the Clerk.  However, the annual payment will continue.  Ongoing, add to June agenda.

1032    Allotment Field Tenancy Update - in order to resolve all outstanding queries and issues relating to the allotment field, the Clerk had written to Fisher German requesting assistance with up to date plans of the area – through the Land Registry, and invited a representative to attend a PC meeting.  The Clerk had written, but to date a response has not been received.  Cllr Hemmerdinger offered to   speak to a local law firm re the issue and request assistance as this matter was now deemed as urgent.  All agreed.  Ongoing, add to April agenda.
1033    Ideas for written piece – Parish News Line
a.         All allotment plots have now been allocated, and resurfacing of the access driveways will be carried out soon, weather permitting.
b.         The recreation ground bench (bottom end) has been renovated and re-set.
1034    Urgent Items
a.         Environment issues – Mr Dunkelman joined the meeting to express concern over sewage pollution  to the stream – the Environment Agency has been informed, and wishes to liaise directly with Mr Dunkelman.  The Clerk is also ensuring this matter receives attention.  All agreed that this important matter be added to the April agenda.

The meeting ended at 08.40 pm

Date of next meeting:  1st April 2010 - pm, The Stables Community room, Sir John Moore School (this meeting follows the Annual Parish meeting which starts at 7.30pm)

Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council) 


Back to Top