Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon


Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

March 2012

Thursday 1st March 2012, 7.30pm, Sir John Moore Community Building Appleby Magna

Present: -       Cllrs P Hemmerdinger (Chair), P Smith, M Hemmerdinger, G Potts, R Butler,
Lindsay Swinfield Clerk, 3 x members of the public, 2 x Police

Open forum for members of the public and press

Pauline Bee reported that the person who usually mowed the closed Churchyard on a voluntary basis had passed away, and requested that the Parish Council assist in future – refer agenda item 13a.

Members of the public had commented on the excellent state of the Churchyard and how lovely the flowers looked.

A member of the public expressed concern at the state of the Church Street verges – refer agenda item 11a.

1218    Apologies – Cllr D Morris

1219    Declarations of Interest to Items on Agenda – Nil

1220    Declarations of Amendment to the Register of Interests – Nil

1221    Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 2nd February 2012 were endorsed and signed. 
1222    Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers – Nil 

1223    Police / Neighbourhood Watch Matters
a.         Please ring 0116 2222222 or 101 or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 to report suspicious behaviour or crimes.  Police Sergeant 531 Mark Watson,

Police reported that there had been a break in to a lock-up in Snarestone Road; a shed had been broken into and items taken; a distraction burglary (2 arrested and then released); arson to a caravan on Rectory Lane (1 arrest and bailed) – same perpetrators who broke into the cricket pavilion on a previous occasion.  Councillors and the Clerk wished PC Chloe Canning all the best in her new life in Australia.

Police left the meeting.

1224    Planning Consultations
a.         12/00075/FUL, 55 Rectory Lane, proposal for a 25m x 50m all weather horse exercise manege for domestic use only – no comment.
b.         12/00102/FUL, 21 Church Street, single storey rear extension (revised scheme) – no comment.

1225    Planning Decision Notices
a.         14 Rectory Lane, non material amendment re replacement of a hipped mono pitched roof – granted.

1226    Chairman’s Report
a.         Black Horse Inn update – work in progress.  Cllrs met with Highways re traffic issues, however there is no spare budget to improve the current situation.  Mr Martin Chattin and Ms Jackie Cross from Highways have been promoted and will leave their current positions.
b.         Wind turbines in the area – an email had been received from Clifton Campville Parish Council asking for support to oppose proposed wind farms in the area – all agreed to support in principle, but to ask for more information re costs – defer to April meeting.  Cllr Potts requested information re the Orton on the Hill (nr to Austrey) wind farm – Clerk to ask NWLDC if they can help.
c.         Proposal to hold a 1960’s Festival in the Sir John Moore grounds – defer until the April meeting and request further information from Cllr Morris.
d.         The Parish Council has a spare computer not required by the Clerk, all agreed to donate said computer to the Allotment Society; Clerk to state this on the asset register.
e.         The fly tipping reported to NWLDC has not been removed – Clerk to report this matter again.      

1227    Allotment Matters
a.         At the February Parish Council meeting the subject of allotment site land extension had been discussed and deferred until the Clerk had obtained some information from Mr Ian Hamilton.  Cllr Potts proposed, seconded by Cllr Butler, it was RESOLVED, unanimous, to request a parcel of land from the tenant of the allotment field, for use by the allotment society.  Clerk to speak to Mr Hamilton and request he takes this forward on behalf of the Parish Council.

1228    Footpaths, Hedgerows & Street Matters
a.         Church Lane verges are being eroded due to the heavy traffic using this route while the Black Horse Inn renovations are taking place.  All agreed to ask Highways to reinstate the verges once the renovations are complete and the traffic follows its usual route.  Clerk to also request the installation of posts (such as those used in Rectory Lane) along Church Lane – starting at Top Street and New Road junction to the corner where Charterhouse is situated – posts to be close enough to stop vehicles from parking, aligned with the little step kerbs.

1229    Recreation Ground & Street Furniture Matters - nil        

1230    Correspondence      
a.         Pauline Bee had written to the Clerk outlining help required re mowing the closed Churchyard; all agreed to obtain 2 quotes re the Parish Council carrying out these duties in future.
b.         RCC (Rural Community Council) had issued the 2012 Village Achievement Award application forms – Cllr Smith will enter the Allotment Society for an award, all agreed.
c.         LCC has issued Village Shop Funding – this is specifically for local retailers offering online support, retail training, one to one and telephone support, and a grant up to £3,000.  Cllr P Hemmerdinger to  pass etails to the village shop owner.

1231    Approval of Financial Statements & Payments
a.         The cheque list and bank reconciliation were reviewed and approved.
b.         The Heart of the Forest Festival committee had requested a donation towards the running costs of the festival – Cllr Smith proposed, seconded by Cllr M. Hemmerdinger, it was RESOLVED,   unanimous to donate £50.00 towards the festival.
c.         The new Sports Pavilion committee requested a donation towards the funding of a new pavilion, this would assist with the grant application issued to LCC’s Big Society fund – Cllr Butler proposed, seconded by Cllr M. Hemmerdinger, it was RESOLVED, unanimous to donate £500.00, and to send a letter of support, also to ask if the committee would consider either naming the new pavilion after Mr Dennis Spare who had recently passed away – or erect a memorial plaque.  Mr Spare had been a Parish Councillor and had worked hard to support the village.

1232    Stone Pit Land Charity – Mr Ian Hamilton had issued a full report bringing Council up to date with the progress re Stone Pit – documents are currently with the Land Registry to be titled.

1233    Ideas for written piece – Parish News Line
a.         Report how good the Churchyard is looking – very well kept;
b.         Remind motorists to adhere to the road signs re the one-way temporary traffic issues while the Black Horse is being renovated.
1234    Urgent Items 
a.         Add to April agenda – Litter pick for the village.

The meeting ended at   08.55pm

Date of next meeting:  5th April 2012, Annual Parish Meeting 7.30pm followed by the Parish Council meeting – The Stables Community room, Sir John Moore School  

 Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council)

Back to Top