Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon


Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

September 2010

Appleby Magna Parish Council Minutes
Thursday 2nd September 2010, 7.30pm, Sir John Moore Community Building Appleby Magna

Present: -       Cllrs P Hemmerdinger (Chairman), J Quimby, E Jeffrey, K Colver, D Morris
Clerk Mrs Lindsay Swinfield, Mr M Dyer (AM Environment Group), Police x 2 (items 10108 – 10113)

Open forum for members of the public and press

Mr Michael Dyer attended the meeting as a representative of the Appleby Environment Group, and presented a report on the way forward for reducing energy consumption and utilising thermal imaging where appropriate and with full approval of the householders, plus sharing home grown produce.  A questionnaire will be distributed to all households around the 25th September 2010.  The Environment Group is a fully constituted group with an official bank account and treasurer.  The Parish Councillors stated that, in principal they fully support this initiative, and once they have had sight of, and approved the formal grant application, they would endorse it.  The full report to be emailed to all Councillors in due course.

10108  Apologies
Apologies received from Cllr M Hemmerdinger.

10109  Declarations of Interest to Items on Agenda - Nil

10110  Declarations of Amendment to the Register of Interests – Nil

10111  Minutes
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 5th August 2010 were endorsed and signed.

10112  Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers - Nil

10113  Police / Neighbourhood Watch Matters
a.         The three recent arson attacks were discussed, the latest causing substantial damage to the bus shelter on Mawbys Lane.  There has been one theft in Rectory Lane and one attempted burglary on Atherstone Road.  The Police urge members of the public to report any suspicious behaviour.

10114  Planning Consultations
a.         10/00726/FUL – 24 Snarestone Road, removal of existing single storey lean-to roofed porch and erection of a new two-storey extension and new front canopy over bay window – no comment.
b.         10/00631/FUL – Jubilee Stables, Snarestone Road, erection of open-sided barn for storage of hay – no comment.
c.         10/00797/FUL – 2 Wren Close, demolition of existing attached garage and erection of a two storey side extension, single storey side extension – to be viewed by Cllrs P Hemmerdinger and K Colver,    to report back to the Clerk following the site visit (by 09/09/10).
d.         10/00741/FUL – 1 Blackhorse Hill, demolition of existing rear conservatory and single storey pantry, and erection of a first floor front/side extension and rebuilding of bowed western side elevation wall – no comment (Conservation Area noted).

10115  Planning Decision Notices
a.         10/00652/AGP – 97 Top Street, Redhill Farm, erection of agricultural building for straw storage – granted.

10116  Allotment Matters
a.         The Appleby Environment group wish to contact all Appleby allotment holders – all agreed that if the group supplies the letters and postage, the Clerk will send these to each allotment holder – this will adhere to data protection rules.
b.         The new padlock is faulty – Clerk to return and request a replacement.

10117  Footpaths, Hedgerows & Street Matters
a.         The aerial inspection of trees in the closed Churchyard has been organised.  Several trees and  some shrubs have been trimmed back – the Clerk to find out who has carried this work out and who authorised the work.
b.         A tree has fallen in Dingle Lane – Clerk to report to Highways.
c.         The problem of overgrowing hedging along Church Street, corner of Bowleys Lane has not been resolved, despite several reports to Highways.  Clerk to report this as an urgent, H&S issue and   request support from our MP or District Councillor.

10118  Recreation Ground & Street Furniture Matters
a.         Cllr Quimby had obtained a quote for works to clear the ditches as well as draining the recreation field using Biffaward funding – however, the Parish Council would be liable for approximately £220.00 shortfall in funding.  Cllr Jeffrey proposed, seconded by Cllr Morris that the Parish Council will pay the £220.00 shortfall in order to ensure the work is completed to a satisfactory standard.    RESOLVED, unanimous.  Clerk to re-apply to Biffaward for the revised funding amount; and vire the £220.00 to Code 130, Contingency.  Cllr Quimby to finalise details with Mr Massey, and feedback to the Clerk.

10119  Correspondence      
a.         Leics and Rutland Playing Fields Association – Parish Council’s may register to help safeguard their playing fields – all agreed, Clerk to register Appleby Magna.
b.         Bill Bryson’s ‘Stop the Drop’ – the CPRE (Campaign to Protect Rural England) has offered to pay a Parish Council recruited litter controller the sum of £100.00 per annum, and to supply work clothes. Clerk to contact Mr Micklewight as agreed.
c.         Sir John Moore Foundation grants – following discussion it was agreed that Cllr Morris will complete the Section 137 forms and pass to the Clerk who will table at the next meeting.  Cllr Morris informed the meeting that the Sir John Moore Foundation had won the Leicestershire & Rutland Heritage Award for their work with young people – all Cllrs congratulated the team.  The Foundation team will continue to pursue grants for alternative activities for youngsters.
d.         NWLDC review of private hire operator conditions and ‘Cabsafe’ initiative – to improve safety for cab hire passengers.  Noted.
e.         NALC (National Association of Local Councils) Local referendums to veto excessive council tax increases – following a short discussion it was agreed that the Clerk should respond in agreement with NALC that the proposal would be totally unworkable and inappropriate.
f.          RCC (Rural Community Council) AGM to be held on 23/09/10 at Kibworth Grammar School – Cllr Morris to attend if possible.

10120  Approval of Financial Statements & Payments
a.         The cheque list and bank reconciliation was reviewed and approved.
b.         Clerk to continue to provide a full copy of cost centres and codes for each meeting.

10121  Stone Pit Land Charity
a.         This is an ongoing item until resolved – the new Solicitor is handling the case.

10122  Ideas for written piece – Parish News Line
a.         Clerk to include the three recent arson attacks in the village (the latest causing damage to the bus shelter along Mawbys Lane) and to stress the importance of reporting anything suspicious to the Police.
b.         Sir John Moore Foundation has won the Leicestershire & Rutland Heritage Award.
c.         Details of Parish Council meetings venue to be included and telephone number for the Clerk.

10123  Urgent Items
a.         Clerk to obtain two repair quotes for the bus shelter (Cllr P Hemmerdinger to speak to Mr Massey); fire retardant materials to be used.
b.         Clerk to cancel the replacement litter bin order (for Mawbys Lane) and request that the bin be placed on Church Street by the bench (near to Wren Close).
c.         Clerk to speak to NWLDC re the affordable housing development, land at rear issues, and request fencing be reinstated where appropriate.

The meeting ended at  09.15pm

Date of next meeting:  October 7th 2010 – 7.30pm, The Stables Community room, Sir John Moore School  

Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council) 

Back to Top