Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon


Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

September 2011

Thursday 1st September 2011, 7.30pm, Sir John Moore Community Building Appleby Magna

Present: -       Cllrs P Hemmerdinger, M Hemmerdinger, P Smith, G Potts, R Butler, D Morris
Lindsay Swinfield Clerk

Open forum for members of the public and press

11103  Apologies – Nil

11104  Declarations of Interest to Items on Agenda – Cllr P Smith agenda item 10, personal interest.

11105  Declarations of Amendment to the Register of Interests – Nil

11106  Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 4th August 2011 were endorsed and signed. 
11107  Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers – Nil 

11108  Police / Neighbourhood Watch Matters
a.         Please ring 0116 2222222 or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 to report suspicious behaviour or crimes.

11109  Planning Consultations
a.         11/00571/FUL, 81 Top Street, increase in height of property and conversion of roof space to habitable accommodation involving the formation of three dormer windows in front elevation roofscape, along with two-storey side extension and single storey from extension.  No comment.
b.         11/00537/FUL, 37 New Road, conversion of outbuilding to dwelling.  No comment.
c.         11/00610/FUL, 1 Meadowbrook Court, erection of side/rear conservatory, alterations to roof of existing conservatory and increase in height of side boundary wall.  No comment.

11110  Planning Decision Notices
a.         39 Bowleys Lane Farmhouse, erection of two storey rear extension and replacement of outbuilding and erection of detached garage.  Granted.
b.         21 Old End, partial demolition of existing outbuilding, part conversion of existing outbuilding to habitable accommodation, single storey extension.  Granted.

11111  Chairman’s Report
a.         Black Horse Inn building, structural issues – following investigation by the Clerk, Cllrs P Hemmerdinger and R Butler attended a meeting at the Black Horse Inn to discuss concerns re the condition of the building.  The meeting was also attended by a structural engineer (Mr Dave Johnson of Henry Mean Partnership, Architects) and a Building Inspector from NWLDC.  Some remedial work has been carried out following the meeting; Marstons have accepted responsibility for the building and will carry out necessary repairs (in principle).  Investigations will continue – English Heritage are also involved.
b.         Right of Way (Lavender Cottage) – the Clerk has written to Mr Whitehurst granting Parish Council ROW – this is an annual commitment.
c.         Bus shelter refurbishment – Mr Terry Grice has re-stained the bus shelter (Mawbys Lane) and will also paint on an in tumescent paint (fire retardant).
d.         The litter bin situated next to the bus shelter had been destroyed by vandals, and the PC and NWLDC decided not to replace it – however, a resident has moved a litter bin from another site in the village and placed it next to the bus shelter – Clerk to request that NWLDC move the bin to a new site – opposite Bateman House, by the footpath, close to the bench (DE12 7AH).
e.         The 3 bollards situated by Rectory Lane are damaged – Clerk to ask Highways to replace them.

11112  Allotment Matters
a.         Cllr Smith has worked hard to improve the allotment site – and has also compiled a list of allotment holders willing to form an Allotment Society.  Cllr Morris proposed, seconded by Cllr M.    Hemmerdinger, it was RESOLVED, unanimous (Cllr Smith abstained), to form an independent Allotment Society who will take over the running and management of the allotment site, with a peppercorn rent of £5.00 payable annually to the Parish Council.  Defined rules will be drafted by the Clerk and passed for approval at the October PC meeting.

            Cllr Butler proposed, seconded by Cllr Potts, it was RESOLVED, unanimous, (Cllr Smith abstained), that all allotment plot fees will be collected by the Society and the latest fees paid for each plot will be passed to the Allotment Society (£750.00).

11113  Footpaths, Hedgerows & Street Matters
a.         Cllr Smith reported a ‘hollow’ in the footpath surface at Hall Yard (DE12 7BB) – Clerk to inform Highways.
b.         Cllr P. Hemmerdinger reported that the existing contractor will continue to cut the hedges back as agreed (approximately £275.00); the price has remained static for the past 5 years.  All agreed.

11114  Recreation Ground & Street Furniture Matters
a.         A representative from Biffa carried out a final check of the recreation ground – Biffa had given a grant of £2k to carry out drainage works to the recreation ground – Mrs Irene Greenwood, grants officer signed the work off, and also suggested that the pavilion replacement project may benefit from a Biffa grant.
b.         Some of the village benches have been refurbished to a high standard by Mr Denson – this is an ongoing project.
c.         The notice boards in Rectory Lane and Top Street are in poor condition.  Cllr Butler and the Clerk to investigate the cost of replacement boards – add to the October agenda.

11115  Correspondence      
a.         Sir John Moore Foundation Trustee – Crane & Walton Solicitors have confirmed that Cllr Mr P Hemmerdinger is now a Trustee of the Sir JM Foundation.  Noted.
b.         A resident reported that the last field on the left in Bowleys Lane before the A444, had a new opening made to the road & was concerned that it might be used illegally in some way.  NWLDC Head of Planning Enforcement  (Christine James) looked into this and duly advised she had sent out Officers to check out the situation.  Apparently what has been done is in accordance with the regulations -Town & Country Planning Act 1990, general permitted development order 1995, Part 4; the owner intends to run a car boot sale from the field and as long as it is no more      than 14 per year this complies.  Noted.

11116  Approval of Financial Statements & Payments
a.         The cheque list and bank reconciliation were reviewed and approved.
b.         The annual grounds maintenance contract for 2012 was discussed.  Cllr Morris proposed, seconded by Cllr M. Hemmerdinger to ask Chilcote Grounds Maintenance to continue with the contract (with   the proviso that up to a 5% increase in costs is acceptable) – it was RESOLVED, unanimous; Clerk to write to Chilcote.

11117  Stone Pit Land Charity – ongoing item.

11118  Ideas for written piece – Parish News Line
a.         Request residents and organisations not to place notices in the refurbished bus shelter – this is a fire hazard.
11119  Urgent Items
a.         The Rural Community Council (RCC) invited members to attend the annual awards ceremony – the Sir John Moore Foundation has been given a community award and the Thermal Imaging project     team have been nominated for an award.  The ceremony is on 22/09/11 at 7pm, Rothley Centre, Rothley – Cllrs P. Hemmerdinger and R. Butler will attend.  Clerk to inform RCC.

The meeting ended at  9pm

Date of next meeting:  6th October 2011 – 7.30pm, The Stables Community room, Sir John Moore School

 Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council)

Back to Top