Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon


Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

August 2013

Thursday 1st August 2013, 7.30 pm, Sir John Moore School Hall, Appleby Magna

Present: -        Cllrs P Hemmerdinger (Chair), M Hemmerdinger, G Pott, R Butler, P Smith, D Wildgoose,
Lindsay Swinfield Clerk, Andrew Bridgen MP, James Carpenter NWLDC Planning, James Ottewell – J. Chastney – Tim Farley – representing development company, 48 members of the public.

1384    Apologies – Nil

1385    Declarations of Pecuniary Interest to Items on Agenda – Nil

1386    Open forum for members of the public and press
Members of the public were given an hour to discuss the possibility of housing developments within the village of Appleby Magna.

a.         Mr Ian Hamilton opened the discussion by outlining opposition to the large scale of the proposed development – 113 houses would be inappropriate causing a 30% increase, 1.5 vehicles per household would add an extra 170-200 potential vehicles x 6 movements per day, with some areas such as Church Street already suffering from congestion.  HS2 could also impact on the area.  The development would impact historical sites, the village has a rich historical history, and as custodians, residents should ensure the heritage for future generations.  The development plan is a good one, but way out of scale and context for the village.

Several residents stood and made objections to the proposed development, with additional comments from others and the developers:

b.         Stony Lane already suffers from overflow of effluence, with a knock-on effect to the brook; traffic increase would be a major concern.

c.         A Planning Framework has always been in place, however this is not being given due consideration re the potential development, the number of new houses should be 10 or less over the next 10-15 years.  There are medieval remains in the location and is a part conservation area too.  The development must be appropriate and related to the existing size of the village – anything larger could initiate a domino effect.  The infrastructure is fragile and could create a 40% increase in population.  More low cost housing is needed.

d.         A VDS (Village Design Statement) was produced 12 years ago and a new VDS is in the process of being produced with the Parish Council’s backing; some development would be acceptable, but not on the proposed scale.

e.         The development plan shows a certain layout and landscaping, not sure this will be adhered to.

f.          A much smaller scale of housing development is needed in the village for sustainability purposes.  Appleby Environment carried out surveys which showed transport issues as a key problem.

g.         If the planning application when submitted (as the developers propose to date) is approved, negotiations should be carried out prior to this, without approving the development; this would ensure benefits to the village are in place for the longer term.

h.         Clare Marsh, Appleby Environment, has put forward an Application for Registration of Land as a Town or Village Green, the land is known variously as Parker’s Field, Church Hall Field, Dormer’s Field being a field lying between Bowleys Lane and Rectory Lane and to the rear of the Church Hall in Church Street – all who support this, please contact Clare Marsh, Church Barn, Church Street, Appleby Magna DE12 7BB.

i.          Mr James Carpenter, NWLDC Planning Officer, stated that NWLDC has not met the Governments 5 year National Planning Policy, therefore some applications refused by NWLDC are being approved when taken to the Planning Inspectors on appeal.  There is only so much the District and Parish Councils can do to fight developments; prepare for a ‘what if’ conclusion and use the time to negotiate.

j.          Mr Jonathan Chastney (representing the developers) stated that they are following a careful process and carrying out community consultations (they could just put up posters and deliver leaflets giving a flavour of intent), but they are not keen to adopt this strategy.  Flood risk assessments, environment agencies and other key interdependents are all being consulted with.  The purpose of the consultation exercises is to draw out problems and try to resolve them.  They wish to engage with the community to a sensible resolution.  There are people who are afraid to speak out in favour of the development who feel more houses are needed.

Q.        You have passed prospectus to investors before planning approved, this is not factual.
A.         This is the way the business is conducted, it is only intent.

Q.        Flooding problems, traffic issues – can you solve them?
A.         We work with environment agencies, highways and other bodies such as Severn Trent, but cannot promise to resolve ongoing issues, but would do our best.

Q.        Affordable housing is needed, the almshouses are under subscribed, so why more general housing in the village?
A.         Survey results will be made public.

k.         Andrew Bridgen MP stated that the total number of houses proposed is not right for the village, however some development is needed, must be the right sort of housing.  The model shown had plenty of space – residents should engage with the developers to ensure the right development is taken forward.

Councillor P. Hemmerdinger proposed, unanimously approved by all members, that a working group be set up consisting of 3 Parish Councillors & the Clerk, 3 members of the public, representation by the developers and by NWLDC Planning.

Councillors P. Hemmerdinger, G. Pott and R. Butler and the Clerk from the Parish Council.
Mr Ian Hamilton, Mr Danny Herbert and Mr Mark Smalley, residents.
Mr James Ottewell, Mr J Chastney and Mr Tim Farley, development company.
Representative from NWLDC Planning if possible.

Public forum closed

1387    Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on June 13th 2013 were endorsed and signed

1388    Decisions made under delegated powers – Nil
1389    Police / Neighbourhood Watch Matters      
Please ring 0116 2222222 or 101 or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 to report suspicious behaviour or crimes.  Police Sergeant 531 Mark Watson,

1390    Planning Consultations
a.         LCC (Leicester County Council) village green application, land known as Parkers Field, Church Hall Field, Dormers Hall Field, between Bowleys Lane and Rectory Lane to the rear of Church Hall, Church Street Appleby Magna – objections need to be served on the County Council as the Commons and Village Greens Regulatory Authority by 27 August 2013 – unanimously supported, Clerk to write to Clare Marsh.
b.         Elms Farm Atherstone Road Appleby Parva, appeal by Mr Henry Egerton re proposed wind turbine, comments to be sent by 20/07/13 – previous comments stand unaltered.

1391    Planning Decisions – nil received

1392    HS2 (High Speed Train) project – keep on agenda – no further information available at this time, however a meeting had been held with representatives of Twycross Zoo to discuss the         implications of HS2 – minutes issued to all Cllrs.  A hard copy of the HS2 consultation document had been received, with web access passed to all Cllrs.
1393    Appleby Magna Recreation Ground issues and concerns
a.         The matter of drainage, ditches and concern over flooding was discussed, this item to remain on the agenda – work to start at the end of August 2013 as agreed.

1394    Footpaths, Hedgerows, Street and Allotment Matters
a.         Fly tipping along Bramble Lane – Cllr P Hemmerdinger to pass details to the Clerk.

1395    Sir John Moore Foundation update
a.         The community consultation exercise has been carried out.  The master plan is developing and funds being raised.  The art structure will be installed very soon.

1396    Correspondence
a.         Letter received from Leicestershire Police re a review with intent to close some of its front counters – noted.
b.         Members of the Council reviewed the proposal to install life saving equipment in the village, but decided this was not appropriate at this time.

1397    Village Design Statement update
The Clerk to write to the VDS group requesting that the draft document be approved by the Parish Council before publication.

1398    Approval of Financial Statements & Payments
a.         The payment list and bank reconciliation were reviewed and approved, RESOLVED, unanimous.
b.         The National Joint Council for Local Government Services have agreed on a 1% increase for  2013/14, backdated to April 2013; this applies to the Clerk.  All agreed, unanimous.

1399    Ideas for Written Piece – Parish News Line
a.         When sewers and drains overflow, please let Councillor Richard Butler know asap, and have all details ready to enable Cllr Butler to keep an accurate record and pass this information onto relevant departments.
b.         Update on the community consultation (information to be emailed to the Clerk for addition to the above in the News Line – Cllr Wildgoose).

13100  Urgent Items - Nil

The meeting ended at 8.55 pm

Date of next meeting:  September 5th 2013, 7.30pm @The Stables Community room, Sir John Moore School 

 Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council)

Back to Top