Archive Contents

Parish Council Minutes

Parish News - coming soon


Archive Home

Appleby Magna Home

Parish Council Minutes

December 2009

Thursday 3rd December 2009, 7.30pm, Sir John Moore Community Building Appleby Magna

Present: -  Cllrs J Quimby – Chair, E Jeffrey, P Hemmerdinger
Clerk Mrs Lindsay Swinfield
Member of the public, Mr Pott

Apologies: - Cllrs K Colver, D Morris, M Hemmerdinger, PC S. Davis

Open forum for members of the public and press

3053    Declaration of Interest to Items on Agenda
Cllr Jeffrey declared a personal interest in reviewing allotment rents/tenancy agreement (item 9), Cllr Quimby declared a personal interest in youth funding, as a Youth Forum Trustee (item 16).

3054    Declarations of Amendment to the Register of Interests – None

3055    Minutes
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held 5th November 2009 were read and endorsed.
Following the previous Parish Council meeting, Cllr Quimby had walked the Allotment boundary, and reported that it is indeed clearly defined with a ditch and hedge.

3056    Decisions Taken Under Delegated Powers - Nil

3057    Police / Neighbourhood Watch Matters
PC Davis had sent apologies, and an update on Cold Calling Zones - the signage has been installed on Top Street, more signage will be installed and information packs distributed by the Police (spare packs to be passed to the Clerk).  The Police wished to thank the Parish Councillors for their support over the past year.
Nothing to report re the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme.

3058    Planning Consultations
09/01138/FUL – 12 Top Street – amended application, installation of 8 replacement timber window units and installation of replacement timber door and frame to rear.  This is a listed building and the Conservation Officer has been consulted.  No Objection.
09/0105/FUL – 28 Black Horse Hill – change of use of an existing field for grazing and keeping of horses; construction of stable block and formation of a concrete yard.  No Objection.
09/01093/FUL – 27 Black Horse Hill – erection of lounge/kitchen extension – Object on following grounds:

3059    Planning Decision Notices
Consent to carry out works to trees in a Conservation area – re-pollarding of Willow tree at 37a Church Street.  Noted.
Permission granted for erection of 8 dwellings, formation of access roads and alterations to existing parking area to provide access into site at land off Parkfield Crescent.  Noted.

3060    Allotment Matters
a.  The amended Allotment tenancy Agreement had been distributed – a further amendment was agreed – Clerk to amend and distribute (inform Cllr Jeffrey of the distribution date), along with instruction re paying the rent in January 2010.

b.  Field Rent agreement – defer to February 2010 meeting.

c.  Top Allotment site entrance resurfacing – Cllr P. Hemmerdinger proposed, seconded by Cllr Jeffrey to accept the quote from RB&D Carter for £627.33 to carry out agreed works to the allotment site entrance.  RESOLVED, unanimous.  The Clerk to query the timescales and feasibility (weather conditions etc), and to request x 14 days notice minimum before work is carried out.  Clerk to also liaise with LD Stone who will provide the hardcore surfacing material.

d.  Allotment Society initiation – defer to February 2010.

3061    Footpaths, Hedgerows & Street Matters
a.  District Signs Project – NWLDC, previously distributed.  NWLDC had issued a selection of district signage designs, the Parish Council selected design number 1 for Bird’s Hill, this has a curved top;         the agreed strapline will be ‘Appleby Magna, home to the Sir John Moore School & Community Building, designed by Sir Christopher Wren.’

b. Bus shelter Parish notice board update – the Clerk had obtained quotes from Malcolm Lane, all agreed to add this to the 2010 budget.

c. Didcott Way replacement tree – a wild pear tree had been donated by LCC, Cllr Quimby to plant on behalf of the PC.

d. Rectory Lane/Church Street replacement tree – Clerk to chase LCC re planting a replacement tree.

e.  Overgrown hedgerows – Hall Yards (between Top Street and Church Street) footpath surface is  damaged by overgrown hedges, this has been reported to LCC (Andrew Parry).  Garton Close also has overgrown shrubbery and hedges, Clerk to report to LCC who will contact the householders.

f. Rectory Lane correspondence and speeding issues – a letter has been received from a resident who wishes to purchase the land adjacent to her property, she also commented on the speed of vehicles travelling down the lane.  The Clerk to respond to the letter with a refusal re purchasing the land, and to give assurance that speed checks are ongoing.

3062    Recreation Ground Matters
The Shires grant application that had been submitted for the proposed toddler swing and new bench had been successful and a grant of £2,098.00 awarded.  Option 2 of the original designs had been the favourite; Cllr P. Hummerdinger proposed Option 2, seconded by Cllr Jeffrey.  RESOLVED, unanimous.  The Clerk to organise a site meeting between Wicksteed and Cllrs Quimby, P.   Hummerdinger and the Clerk.

3063    Moira Fire Station – nil to report

3064    Correspondence – nil

3065    Approval of Budget And Financial Statements
1st April 09 to 18th November 09
The Parish Council will closely monitor Other Expenditure Contingencies.

3066    Accounts For Payment – approved and signed (see separate Cheque list)
a.  All agreed to pay the previous Clerk full salary for November and December 09 as a handover  payment.

3067    Youth Group, funding request – a request for assistance with funding had been received from the local Youth Group – the Clerk to send an S137 form for completion, and to ascertain details of other bodies approached, such as Measham or Ashby Councils.

3068    Victim Support (PRIDE) donation request – all agreed to donate £50.00 to this charity.

3069    Appleby Magna Cricket Club request for contribution to repair a tractor – all agreed once written repair/costing estimates had been received.  Defer to February 2010.
3070    Ideas for written piece – Parish News Line
All agreed to include the Shire grant successful application, and to thank Mr & Mrs Dunkleman for allowing the installation of the new Moat House gates.

3071    Urgent Items – nil to report.

The meeting ended at 9pm

Date of next meeting: 4th February 2010 7.30pm, The Stables Community room, Sir John Moore School. 

Lindsay Swinfield (Clerk to the Parish Council)   3rd December 2009               

Back to Top