Sir John Moore Primary School
Appleby Magna is extremely lucky in having one of the most historic primary school buildings in the country! Set in the grounds of the Sir John Moore Foundation, the primary school occupies part of the grade 1 listed building, which has been a school since it was built in 1697, commissioned by Sir John Moore, and based on an original design by Sir Christopher Wren. After Wren's first design, the work was taken on by local architect Sir William Wilson. It opened as a Free School for boys in 1697.
The school and the other rooms and buildings that make up The Foundation underwent a major £2 million refurbishment which was completed in 2004.
The school has its own web site here
The Sir John Moore Foundation has information about events and facilities on the rest of the site: www.sirjohnmoore.org.uk
For more about the history of the school, read our History web site pages, or Richard Dunmore's book This Noble Foundation (details in the sidebar opposite).